Sunday, December 12, 2010

The handling of Jolly men...

Santa is a "fun" part of the holiday celebration, but he's not real. There isn't an overweight jolly man fighting down our (nonexistent) chimney followed by a fairy that takes little kids dirty teeth and a rabbit that gives away eggs that don't belong to it.

This is a conversation I had with a friend the other day. I've decided that Santa will not be a real figure in our house. It's not that I think he's the devil or a bad influence, in reality, I just don't want to lie to my child about anything, especially making a purposeful decision to do that. Saint Nicholas (the loose base for Santa) was an amazing and Holy man. His feast day is early in the month of December and that will be incorporated into our celebration. We will probably still go to the mall and sit on Santa's lap and tell him what we'd like, but it will be with the knowledge that we're playing! We're using our imagination ad pretending that Santa can tell if I'm naughty or nice and might bring me coal if I'm bad! *giggles* =) We'll handle other holiday creatures in the same fashion. It's tradition to put your teeth under the pillow so you can get money from the tooth fairy...but guess what *wink* Mommy is the tooth fairy! I feel like you can celebrate holidays without telling your children that fictional characters bring them stuff. It just takes some imagination!

One of the parts that does worry me about our "Santa choice" is that it's gonna be my son breaking other kids hearts when he informs them Santa is imaginary. So we will make a rule that very clearly states, that other children may believe in Santa (et al) and we do not get to tell them what we know. That is something for their mommy and daddy's to talk to them about. But really. All I want is for my children to trust me. To know I will tell them the truth and that I expect the same from them. So Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Kids believe things...you must have heard the story of how Kristi, Kelly and I were playing outside after Easter dinner and thought that the inflatable bunny had laid plastic eggs that had hatched into real baby bunnies? We must have been 6 or 7...no one told us anything, but somehow it made sense to us. Now maybe if we'd known the Easter Bunny wasn't real we'd have known better...but maybe not. We didn't think the inflatable bunny was the Easter Bunny, just that she'd had furry little babies. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete